3 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
salt to taste
pepper to taste
2 - 3 fresh basil sprigs, including stems
2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, cut into strips (optional)
1. Rinse the scallops and pat dry. Set aside.
2. With a sharp knife, score one lemon lengthwise in four sections and remove the peel from each section. Scrape the white portion from the peel; discard. Cut the peel into very thin strips and set aside. Squeeze 2 tablespoons of juice from the lemon; reserve.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the asparagus and onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes; season to taste with the salt and black pepper. Transfer to a serving platter and keep warm.
4. Combine the lemon peel, basil sprigs and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the skillet. Cook for 1 minute or until heated through. Remove the lemon peel and basil sprigs with a slotted spoon, leaving the oil in the skillet; discard.
5. Cook the scallops in the hot oil for 3 to 5 minutes or until opaque, turning once. Stir in the reserved lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
6. Place the scallops over the asparagus mixture. Cut the remaining lemon into wedges. Garnish the scallops with the wedges and, if desired, the fresh basil.
190 Calories, 16 g protein, 6 g carbohydrate